Note: At approximately 26 minutes, Mr. Young discusses his passion and purpose for the creation of SOCARTES
During the 3-year partnership with the Arlington County Detention Facility in Arlington, VA (which started in October 2013), S. L. Young has taught approximately 300 inmates with around 100 inmates having earned certificates of completion or almost 40 in a non-certificate training in the Addiction, Corrections, and Treatment (ACT) Program in either "Introduction to Business - Overview", "Introduction to Business - Soft Skills", or "Life Skills Management". Also, Mr. Young has spoken to hundreds of at-risk students about overcoming educational challenges --- after he barely graduated high school, excelled to earn multiple degrees, and was driven to inspire others an educator (college professor / community influencer).
Source: Dept. of Education (2012)
* 9/2016 - Completed an 8-week Business - Soft Skills and overcoming challenges program with a new group at the jail --- the Addictions, Corrections, and Treatment (ACT) Unit.
* 12/2015 - SOCARTES' founder's article "Inmate Management: What's Wanted Better Criminals or Citizens?" appears in The Huffington Post.
* 12/2015 - Completed a couple of 5-week classes: Business - Soft Skills and Life Skills Management at a jail
* 10/2015 - Completed an 8-week Introduction to Business class at a jail
* 7/2015 - SOCARTES' founder speaks at Arlington County Board meeting to seek approval to obtain complementary access to meeting rooms at community recreational centers to offer life and business training to residents. (Comments at 38 - 40 minutes; board's responses at 1:09 - 1:17)
* 6/2015 - SOCARTES' founder delivers commencement addressat Fairfax County Non-Traditional High School graduation
SOCARTES is an educational non-profit founded in December 2012; its focus is to help individuals overcome personal challenges and barriers to achieve educational goals within their communities.
SOCARTES' strongly believes that challenges (e.g., tuition, transportation, past experiences) should not be a factor in an individual's ability to receive a quality education. Moreover, SOCARTES is committed to providing individuals access to personal development opportunities, which can lead to these individuals reaching their career potential and goals.
Don't devalue any positive struggles toward an endpoint, because completion and success feel the same no matter the way you started.
Source: S. L. Young
Copyright ©2013 - 2017 Saving Our Communities at Risk Through Educational Services (SOCARTES) / All rights reserved