Source: Dept. of Education (2012)
* 1/2019 - Started an "Introduction to Business - Overview" class at the Arlington County Detention Facility.
* 1/2019 - Completed a "Life Skills" class at the Arlington County Detention Facility.
* 7/2018 - SOCARTES' founder receives the "Distinguished County Service Award" from Volunteer Arlington (program of the Leadership Center for Excellence), which is given to an individual or a group (through volunteerism) who has shown outstanding commitment and care to Arlington, VA citizens.
* 6/2018 - SOCARTES' founder selected as the Arlington County Virginia Sheriff's Office's inaugural "Volunteer of the Month."
* 4/2018 - SOCARTES begins an 8-week "Introduction to Business" course for inmates.
* 4/2018 - SOCARTES' founder receives the "2018 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drum Major Innovative Service Award" from the U.S. Department of Education Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, in collaboration with the White House Initiative for Educational Excellence for African-Americans.
* 11/2017 - SOCARTES' founder featured in an regular Falls Church News-Press segment "Our Man in Arlington" by Charlie Clark.
* 12/2015 - SOCARTES' founder's article "Inmate Management: What's Wanted Better Criminals or Citizens?" appears in the HuffPost.
* 7/2015 - SOCARTES' founder speaks at Arlington County Board meeting to seek approval to obtain complementary access to meeting rooms at community recreational centers to offer life and business training to residents. (Comments at 38 - 40 minutes; board's responses at 1:09 - 1:17)
* 6/2015 - SOCARTES' founder delivers commencement addressat Fairfax County Non-Traditional High School graduation.
SOCARTES is an educational nonprofit founded in December 2012; its focus is to help individuals overcome personal challenges and barriers to achieve educational goals within their communities.
SOCARTES' strongly believes that challenges (e.g., tuition, transportation, past experiences) should not be a factor in an individual's ability to receive a quality education. Moreover, SOCARTES is committed to providing individuals access to personal development opportunities, which can lead to these individuals reaching their career potential and goals.
Note: At approximately 26 minutes, Mr. Young discusses his passion and purpose for SOCARTES' creation
During the 5-year partnership with the Arlington County Detention Facility (ACDF) in Arlington, VA (started in October 2013), S. L. Young has taught over 400 inmates with approximately 150 earning certificates of completion in either "Introduction to Business - Overview," "Introduction to Business - Soft Skills," or "Life Skills Management." Moreover, almost 40 inmates in the Addiction, Corrections, and Treatment (ACT) Program participated in a non-certificate curriculum. Furthermore, Mr. Young has spoken to hundreds of at-risk high school and college students about overcoming educational challenges --- based on his long educational journey from barely graduating high school to excelling to earn multiple degrees. These experiences drove him to educate, uplift, and inspire others as an educator (professor/community influencer/thought-leader).
Don't devalue any positive struggles toward an endpoint, because completion and success feel the same no matter the way you started.
Source: S. L. Young
Copyright ©2013 - 2019 Saving Our Communities at Risk Through Educational Services (SOCARTES) / All rights reserved